<rss xmlns:atom="http://www.w3.org/2005/Atom" version="2.0">
  <channel>
    <title>Comments by Jenni Won</title>
    <description>Most recent public comments by Jenni Won</description>
    <link>https://nowcomment.com/users/113706</link>
    <atom:link rel="self" type="application/rss+xml" href="https://nowcomment.com/users/113706/comments"/>
    <item>
      <title>Good question</title>
      <link>https://nowcomment.com/documents/293881?scroll_to=2612334</link>
      <guid isPermaLink="true">https://nowcomment.com/documents/293881?scroll_to=2612334</guid>
      <description>I agree with you that turning in assignments in a timely manner is definitely a good opportunity for students to learn about time-management and responsibility. With that said, interestingly, my daughter's school actually takes the approach that homework is not mandatory. However, the consequence of not doing the homework will be that the student will not be adequately prepared for what they call Demonstration of Learning (DOL) activities, as the HW prepares students on what to expect on the DOL, whether it's a presentation, a quiz, etc., and the DOL is graded. I think it's very interesting that my daughter is actually MORE motivated to complete her homework because she is intrinsically motivated to complete it in order to be ready for the DOL activity.</description>
      <pubDate>Thu, 28 Oct 2021 12:35:47 -0400</pubDate>
    </item>
    <item>
      <title>Principles vs. rules: principles gives opportunity for critical thinking.</title>
      <link>https://nowcomment.com/documents/293881?scroll_to=2612299</link>
      <guid isPermaLink="true">https://nowcomment.com/documents/293881?scroll_to=2612299</guid>
      <description>The author's idea of letting principles (versus rules) be his guiding method for classroom behavior resonates with me. I agree with the concept that principles give students the opportunity to think critically about their behavior/actions. For example, when a student considers the class principal of &quot;Be engaged because a community is made up of all voices,&quot; a student has a chance to apply critical thinking to the action of not taking frequent/long trips to the restroom. For instance, a student might respond to the question: &quot;I probably do I not want to constantly be leaving class to go to the bathroom or linger in there because I will miss out on having my voice heard on a particular subject/issue, and I not get to hear an idea my class comes up with and I will miss out.&quot; The student has the opportunity to think critically about his behavior by evaluating whether a particular action adheres or goes against a class principle. Further, when a student has an opportunity to make decisions in this way, intrinsic motivation will play a much bigger role. </description>
      <pubDate>Thu, 28 Oct 2021 12:27:16 -0400</pubDate>
    </item>
    <item>
      <title>That's great that your question helped change things up!</title>
      <link>https://nowcomment.com/documents/293878?scroll_to=2612149</link>
      <guid isPermaLink="true">https://nowcomment.com/documents/293878?scroll_to=2612149</guid>
      <description>I think that's great that you were able to see this happening in a real-life application and ask yourself, &quot;Wait, why? Why only crayons?&quot; I think so many times, it's easy to just do things the way it's &quot;always been done&quot; without challenging the rationale behind it. </description>
      <pubDate>Thu, 28 Oct 2021 10:56:01 -0400</pubDate>
    </item>
    <item>
      <title>We can give positive reinforcement without overusing praise.</title>
      <link>https://nowcomment.com/documents/293878?scroll_to=2612145</link>
      <guid isPermaLink="true">https://nowcomment.com/documents/293878?scroll_to=2612145</guid>
      <description>This quote really made me stop and think: &quot;Rather than bolstering a child's self-esteem, praise may increase kids' dependence on us.&quot; In other words, the more we give comments of praise, the more kids may come to rely on our evaluations on them rather than learning to form their own evaluation or judgments on behavior. Kohn, author of Punished by Rewards, suggests that rather than giving a praise statement, you could instead draw the child's attention to the EFFECT that his/her action had on another person. (&quot;Look at Jeremy's face! He looks pretty happy that you shared your snack with him!) The emphasis is on how I, as a teacher, feel about the student's positive behavior, which is a completely different emphasis than praise. </description>
      <pubDate>Thu, 28 Oct 2021 10:53:05 -0400</pubDate>
    </item>
  </channel>
</rss>
