<rss xmlns:atom="http://www.w3.org/2005/Atom" version="2.0">
  <channel>
    <title>Comments by Elizabeth Hamming</title>
    <description>Most recent public comments by Elizabeth Hamming</description>
    <link>https://nowcomment.com/users/131270</link>
    <atom:link rel="self" type="application/rss+xml" href="https://nowcomment.com/users/131270/comments"/>
    <item>
      <title>Commas as cues</title>
      <link>https://nowcomment.com/documents/40909?scroll_to=2972938</link>
      <guid isPermaLink="true">https://nowcomment.com/documents/40909?scroll_to=2972938</guid>
      <description>I agree that this article makes use of appositives. Students who are not monitoring their comprehension can often read right past a phrase that provides meaning for the previous word, even when they read the phrase accurately and fluently.  I often tell students that commas are a signal. When they see a comma they can take a breath, and a comma also sometimes signals a u-turn to go back to the word(s) before the comma to add information to help them comprehend the word.  </description>
      <pubDate>Tue, 27 Dec 2022 19:06:58 -0500</pubDate>
    </item>
    <item>
      <title>Vocabulary strategy choice for students.</title>
      <link>https://nowcomment.com/documents/40909?scroll_to=2972937</link>
      <guid isPermaLink="true">https://nowcomment.com/documents/40909?scroll_to=2972937</guid>
      <description>I assume a proportion of language learners in the class regardless of the grade level. I agree with others that there are a lot of context cues and appositives.  I would be prepared with The Vocabulary Strategy Worksheet (previously taught and modeled), pictures of percussion instruments, links to the sounds they make, and to musicians performing using the instruments, a dictionary (hard copy or electronic with pronunciation links).  I would ask students to define words using context clues via the worksheet, then give them a short list of words they are unlikely to know and might read past, as well as a list of multiple meaning words.  Knowing one meaning of a word does not mean they know there are other meanings.  I would introduce choice and individualized learning to address varied levels in the class by offering them choice in how they proceed with the vocabulary support strategies. Finally, I would ask them  to form triads and share their results, noting anything a partner defined that they did not have on their master sheet. Context sues are particularly important for multiple meaning words.  These are often small, single syllable words, but can be very confusing if the wrong meaning is assumed.  &quot;Pitch&quot; for example, might be understood as a baseball term, as a musical term, but not known as a term associated with trees.  This article has the potential to be a fun and rich vocabulary exercise!
Giving choice in the use of pre-taught vocab strategies makes this appropriate to a variety of grade levels from intermediate to secondary. </description>
      <pubDate>Tue, 27 Dec 2022 19:00:56 -0500</pubDate>
    </item>
  </channel>
</rss>
