<rss version="2.0" xmlns:atom="http://www.w3.org/2005/Atom">
  <channel>
    <title>Comments by Kendall Smither</title>
    <description>Most recent public comments by Kendall Smither</description>
    <link>https://nowcomment.com/users/14539</link>
    <atom:link rel="self" type="application/rss+xml" href="https://nowcomment.com/users/14539/comments"/>
    <item>
      <title>Good point!</title>
      <link>https://nowcomment.com/documents/35110?scroll_to=345086</link>
      <guid isPermaLink="true">https://nowcomment.com/documents/35110?scroll_to=345086</guid>
      <description>It&#8217;s true, teaching cursive is probably something that needs to be investigated further. However, I don&#8217;t think it should be a lost skill in day to day life. Cursive signatures are difficult to duplicate and have always been highly valued in society. So I think it&#8217;s important that students learn cursive, because despite popular belief, it&#8217;s used later in life!</description>
      <pubDate>Mon, 06 Jul 2015 11:37:42 -0400</pubDate>
    </item>
    <item>
      <title>Great Points</title>
      <link>https://nowcomment.com/documents/35109?scroll_to=345083</link>
      <guid isPermaLink="true">https://nowcomment.com/documents/35109?scroll_to=345083</guid>
      <description>As I was watching both videos I couldn't help but notice how extreme the world has gotten with hashtaging, sharing, commenting on just about everything. Nearly everything that is done is documented in some sort of way (picture or comment) on social media. My friends actually have a joke whenever we tell each other about something cool that we've done, we always say &quot;Pics or it didn't happen&quot; because just about everyone takes a picture of just about everything that they do, upload it to social media, and shares it with as many people as possible. 
In the first video, the woman cracks me up as she  incorporates social media actions into real life. Something that stuck out to me is when she wanted to be introduced to the man sitting next to the man who she was sitting next to, even though she didn't know either man! I got a good laugh out of that because I can't count how many times I've gotten as Facebook friend request from someone who I only have one or two mutual friends with. As if they're truly interested in my status updates or check ins.
The second video is something that I had see before but not in this context. Watching it this time around got my thinking about how hilarious it is when people hashtag everything, without knowing the purpose of a hashtag. I always explain it as &quot;creating an photo album/ comment album online where people can connect&quot; maybe you say #gobraves and you can click on the link and see who else is supporting the braves from around the world. However, is it really necessary to hashtag EVERYTHING you can possibly think of for one picture?
I guess the points I'm trying to make go only with Carly's points. However, I think because social media is relatively new to all people, not just students, many people have much to learn about how to properly connect online ... and when it goes too far. I feel that, as educators using technology and potentially social media, it's our duty to model how to appropriately use these tools in a professional setting, and so the kids how not to go overboard!!
I thought these were GREAT videos for this discussion, well done!!</description>
      <pubDate>Sun, 05 Jul 2015 20:04:26 -0400</pubDate>
    </item>
  </channel>
</rss>
