<rss xmlns:atom="http://www.w3.org/2005/Atom" version="2.0">
  <channel>
    <title>Comments by Jane Higgins</title>
    <description>Most recent public comments by Jane Higgins</description>
    <link>https://nowcomment.com/users/36839</link>
    <atom:link rel="self" type="application/rss+xml" href="https://nowcomment.com/users/36839/comments"/>
    <item>
      <title>Teacher practice</title>
      <link>https://nowcomment.com/documents/304423?scroll_to=2721454</link>
      <guid isPermaLink="true">https://nowcomment.com/documents/304423?scroll_to=2721454</guid>
      <description>I feel part of things when a teacher seems to care enough to know me.</description>
      <pubDate>Fri, 18 Feb 2022 16:59:36 -0500</pubDate>
    </item>
    <item>
      <title>Attitude</title>
      <link>https://nowcomment.com/documents/304423?scroll_to=2721437</link>
      <guid isPermaLink="true">https://nowcomment.com/documents/304423?scroll_to=2721437</guid>
      <description>I agree! How students feel about the room and what's happening in a class is a big factor in how they participate and learn.</description>
      <pubDate>Fri, 18 Feb 2022 16:58:34 -0500</pubDate>
    </item>
    <item>
      <title>Influence of mothers</title>
      <link>https://nowcomment.com/documents/304423?scroll_to=2721434</link>
      <guid isPermaLink="true">https://nowcomment.com/documents/304423?scroll_to=2721434</guid>
      <description>Lexxis, I talked about my mother's influence too. I'm thinking about it now and realizing that my mother influenced me to teach and now my daughter is going to become a teacher.</description>
      <pubDate>Fri, 18 Feb 2022 16:56:46 -0500</pubDate>
    </item>
    <item>
      <title>Major</title>
      <link>https://nowcomment.com/documents/304423?scroll_to=2721432</link>
      <guid isPermaLink="true">https://nowcomment.com/documents/304423?scroll_to=2721432</guid>
      <description>I was a philosophy major as an undergrad. Studying Socrates absolutely informed my desire to teach while also serving as a model for teaching. I try to make my teaching centered on discussion and conversation so we learn together.</description>
      <pubDate>Fri, 18 Feb 2022 16:55:38 -0500</pubDate>
    </item>
    <item>
      <title>Change</title>
      <link>https://nowcomment.com/documents/304423?scroll_to=2721429</link>
      <guid isPermaLink="true">https://nowcomment.com/documents/304423?scroll_to=2721429</guid>
      <description>Much of the teaching I experienced--especially from nuns in HS--was very traditional with a lot of direct instruction and Q and A. In some ways, this probably worked ok, but I knew as a teacher I wanted to teach the whole child/person. So I have always made that a part of my teaching.</description>
      <pubDate>Fri, 18 Feb 2022 16:53:31 -0500</pubDate>
    </item>
    <item>
      <title>Teaching</title>
      <link>https://nowcomment.com/documents/304423?scroll_to=2721412</link>
      <guid isPermaLink="true">https://nowcomment.com/documents/304423?scroll_to=2721412</guid>
      <description>My life as a learner did impact my decision to teach. Many of my teachers influenced me, but much of my early learning (K-12) came from my mother. I would say she was the biggest influence on my decision to teach.</description>
      <pubDate>Fri, 18 Feb 2022 16:51:23 -0500</pubDate>
    </item>
    <item>
      <title>Language of Letters</title>
      <link>https://nowcomment.com/documents/277068?scroll_to=2487086</link>
      <guid isPermaLink="true">https://nowcomment.com/documents/277068?scroll_to=2487086</guid>
      <description>Loving these words, so I'm playing them back:
experimenting with boredom and creativity
desire to center creativity at a time when it was lost
Their poems were no longer outlets kept in their iPhone notes</description>
      <pubDate>Wed, 09 Jun 2021 21:49:06 -0400</pubDate>
    </item>
    <item>
      <title>Emmett Till </title>
      <link>https://nowcomment.com/documents/204083?scroll_to=1900152</link>
      <guid isPermaLink="true">https://nowcomment.com/documents/204083?scroll_to=1900152</guid>
      <description>I hope we are not numb. It was Emmett Till's mother who made the decision to open his casket. Watching George Floyd suffer, plead and approach death leaves the agency out of the intent of sharing/watching the video. This leaves us to decide the purpose of the video as evidence, testimony or politicization of his suffering and death.</description>
      <pubDate>Fri, 29 May 2020 11:59:22 -0400</pubDate>
    </item>
    <item>
      <title>Know them</title>
      <link>https://nowcomment.com/documents/204083?scroll_to=1900151</link>
      <guid isPermaLink="true">https://nowcomment.com/documents/204083?scroll_to=1900151</guid>
      <description>Know their names, say their names.</description>
      <pubDate>Fri, 29 May 2020 11:53:43 -0400</pubDate>
    </item>
    <item>
      <title>What has changed since Emmett Till was murdered? Till's mother demanded an open casket so all could see what was done to her child. </title>
      <link>https://nowcomment.com/documents/204083?scroll_to=1900077</link>
      <guid isPermaLink="true">https://nowcomment.com/documents/204083?scroll_to=1900077</guid>
      <description></description>
      <pubDate>Fri, 29 May 2020 11:59:22 -0400</pubDate>
    </item>
    <item>
      <title>CG standing with his back to camera</title>
      <link>https://nowcomment.com/documents/104072?scroll_to=1129146</link>
      <guid isPermaLink="true">https://nowcomment.com/documents/104072?scroll_to=1129146</guid>
      <description>There's a lot being said here about the black body. CG dances through many types of music (from African to Gospel to contemporary) which allows him to emphasize how his body is moving shirtless. Reminds me of Coates and his argument around how death and abuse of the black body is acceptable because of the white gaze and devaluation of the black body. </description>
      <pubDate>Sat, 26 Sep 2020 08:45:34 -0400</pubDate>
    </item>
    <item>
      <title>&quot;Grandma told me get you money, Black man (Get yo money)</title>
      <link>https://nowcomment.com/documents/104072?scroll_to=1129128</link>
      <guid isPermaLink="true">https://nowcomment.com/documents/104072?scroll_to=1129128</guid>
      <description>This line always makes me think of Othello- Iago tells Rodrigo:
Put money in thy purse. Follow thou the wars, defeat thy favor with an usurped beard. I say, put money in thy purse. It cannot be long that Desdemona should continue her love to the Moor&#8212;put money in thy purse&#8212;nor he his to her. It was a violent commencement in her, and thou shalt see an answerable sequestration&#8212;put but money in thy purse. These Moors are changeable in their wills&#8212;fill thy purse with money. The food that to him now is as luscious as locusts shall be to him shortly as bitter as coloquintida. She must change for youth. When she is sated with his body she will find the errors of her choice. Therefore, put money in thy purse. If thou wilt needs damn thyself, do it a more delicate way than drowning. Make all the money thou canst. If sanctimony and a frail vow betwixt an erring barbarian and supersubtle Venetian be not too hard for my wits and all the tribe of hell, thou shalt enjoy her. Therefore make money. A pox of drowning thyself! 'Tis clean out of the way. Seek thou rather to be hanged in compassing thy joy than to be drowned and go without her.

He goes on to talk about revenge and hatred of Othello so the idea of money takes on many meanings including being prepared to fight, being ready to buy what's needed (land), and being armed. </description>
      <pubDate>Sat, 26 Sep 2020 08:45:34 -0400</pubDate>
    </item>
    <item>
      <title>&quot;We just want the money&quot; </title>
      <link>https://nowcomment.com/documents/104072?scroll_to=1129119</link>
      <guid isPermaLink="true">https://nowcomment.com/documents/104072?scroll_to=1129119</guid>
      <description>The focus on money is made immediately in the video next to lyrics about the party. It could be assumed that the We are the people that CG represents, but perhaps not. </description>
      <pubDate>Sat, 26 Sep 2020 08:45:34 -0400</pubDate>
    </item>
  </channel>
</rss>
