<rss xmlns:atom="http://www.w3.org/2005/Atom" version="2.0">
  <channel>
    <title>Comments by Jenna Cristino (Maplewood HS Ex-Ed Teacher)</title>
    <description>Most recent public comments by Jenna Cristino (Maplewood HS Ex-Ed Teacher)</description>
    <link>https://nowcomment.com/users/40325</link>
    <atom:link rel="self" type="application/rss+xml" href="https://nowcomment.com/users/40325/comments"/>
    <item>
      <title>I've seen this countless times (unfortunately)</title>
      <link>https://nowcomment.com/documents/101580?scroll_to=1008792</link>
      <guid isPermaLink="true">https://nowcomment.com/documents/101580?scroll_to=1008792</guid>
      <description>Mrs. Beasley,

At my old school in Chicago, science teachers were given the majority of EL students and many sped. students in their classes without support (even often without a sped. co-teacher because we were understaffed). I noticed that many of the sped. students and ELs that I taught were all failing their science classes, so I decided to join the science team and provide them with support/help them adapt materials to meet the needs of their students. I modified their exams, helped them plan lessons and unit assessments with these specific students in mind and eventually taught teachers how to do so. 

I can't agree more that science teachers often are overlooked in this regard. However, it sounds like you are doing a great job with making the curriculum accessible to them! :) </description>
      <pubDate>Fri, 20 Apr 2018 10:12:14 -0400</pubDate>
    </item>
    <item>
      <title>Guideline #2 and new ideas</title>
      <link>https://nowcomment.com/documents/101580?scroll_to=1008175</link>
      <guid isPermaLink="true">https://nowcomment.com/documents/101580?scroll_to=1008175</guid>
      <description>Guideline 2 (&#8220;Culturally responsive teaching places students at the center of the learning&#8221;) stood out to me the most. Specifically, when the chapter discussed how it is important to make sure &#8220;that the learning goals are explained in student-friendly language so that students can participate in setting goals for their learning and assess their learning&#8221; (45). I recently attended a PD on &#8220;Thinking Maps&#8221;, where we discussed that it would be beneficial for students to see a map/visual of the current unit up in the classroom, so they could better understand why they are learning what they are learning, and where this would be taking them/what the end goals would be. I loved the example given in the chapter that took a CCSS standard and turned it into a student-friendly language objective. In the future, I plan to create a visual unit map with student-friendly language and objectives that will help them understand what they are learning and goals for the unit (I plan to use a Flow map.. for those of you who are familiar with &#8220;Thinking Maps&#8221;). </description>
      <pubDate>Fri, 11 May 2018 16:47:34 -0400</pubDate>
    </item>
  </channel>
</rss>
