<rss xmlns:atom="http://www.w3.org/2005/Atom" version="2.0">
  <channel>
    <title>Comments by David Quesada</title>
    <description>Most recent public comments by David Quesada</description>
    <link>https://nowcomment.com/users/65497</link>
    <atom:link rel="self" type="application/rss+xml" href="https://nowcomment.com/users/65497/comments"/>
    <item>
      <title>Alarming</title>
      <link>https://nowcomment.com/documents/164892?scroll_to=1574170</link>
      <guid isPermaLink="true">https://nowcomment.com/documents/164892?scroll_to=1574170</guid>
      <description>Hi Kendra and Shalika

I read alot about how tech is affecting young people and the addictions and other things that are happening even in adults.  Truly a tragic thing when we are learning the interesting things that tech can do with learning, communication and collaboration.  

We must be aware of these items as leaders and as Researchers.  Is it what comes with the territory?  Will people overuse?  of course and will people use tech in wrong ways -- yes

Many things are like that in life with things being over done or used in wrong ways.  I guess from my two cents -- is how am I using it and how do I want to make a difference in communicating with others the power and the responsibility that comes with its usage.  I wish we could save the world in usage but what I can do in my world is model and communicate.  

</description>
      <pubDate>Sun, 26 Jan 2020 10:54:45 -0800</pubDate>
    </item>
    <item>
      <title>Unpacking</title>
      <link>https://nowcomment.com/documents/164892?scroll_to=1574169</link>
      <guid isPermaLink="true">https://nowcomment.com/documents/164892?scroll_to=1574169</guid>
      <description>This is one video I had to watch a few times and then watch portions over a few days.  

I feel many of his questions we can relate to when we either use a new tech or even a new product.  When you plan to purchase something you may have several questions in your mind before you purchase.  You need to ensure its the &quot;right&quot; fit - meaning it meets all your needs and it &quot;does&quot; what it says it will do.  

What then comes across is &quot;how&quot; will we know?  </description>
      <pubDate>Sun, 26 Jan 2020 10:47:53 -0800</pubDate>
    </item>
    <item>
      <title>You can do it!</title>
      <link>https://nowcomment.com/documents/164892?scroll_to=1574167</link>
      <guid isPermaLink="true">https://nowcomment.com/documents/164892?scroll_to=1574167</guid>
      <description>Be great to talk more Shalika as you go along.  The IT person in a district wears many hats -- for sure I am the IT coach, IT janitor, IT mentor, etc etc.  I encourage, clean up, help others and offer my opinions on my experiences with technology currently in a district and in the past.  

How do you teach that?  I think just as some courses teach how to be a special ed director or curriculum ..you get more of that in IT director but that needs some work too from some of the things I have seen in connecting real world and theory.  Comes with the job as well and through projects with teachers. 

So making people less afraid is done by finding items that work best and keeping on that road.  If something doesn't work well pull it out or do something.  That is what teachers want --action.  Time is limited. </description>
      <pubDate>Sun, 26 Jan 2020 10:43:37 -0800</pubDate>
    </item>
    <item>
      <title>Outreach</title>
      <link>https://nowcomment.com/documents/164892?scroll_to=1574165</link>
      <guid isPermaLink="true">https://nowcomment.com/documents/164892?scroll_to=1574165</guid>
      <description>Hi Kendra!

Sounds so great to think about how to use tech to do outreach.  I have lots of questions to learn more about your goals and your population you are trying to serve.  As you move forward understand how would your customer access what you are trying to do?  Do they already have access to a way you could use?  Such as facebook or other social media?  Or are you thinking like Webinars?  

What is great is that now there are so many ways to get information to customers.  We are mini marketers now!  </description>
      <pubDate>Sun, 26 Jan 2020 10:37:59 -0800</pubDate>
    </item>
    <item>
      <title>Idea for usage</title>
      <link>https://nowcomment.com/documents/164892?scroll_to=1574161</link>
      <guid isPermaLink="true">https://nowcomment.com/documents/164892?scroll_to=1574161</guid>
      <description>Hi Shalika
Your comments remind me alot that many ideas are not shared enough or in a systematic way in schools to know what can be done with tech so the circle of knowledge of using tech never grows for some teachers.  

Why do teachers have to feel they have to come up with the ideas?  Just as in curriculum I think district should have examples to share how to use the tech they have and give them examples.  This work gets pushed back and the only emphasis in my experience is &quot;Does the tech work in the classroom&quot; meaning is it not broke then we are good!  There is so much more meaningful ways to use things.  

So another issue if you dont use the tech how can you be critical about it and over a critical eye.  This has been something I think alot about and will bring up more as we go along.  

For instance I have never driven a sports car and if I ever purchase one until I drive one how will I know I have chosen one to fit my needs?  Reading, research, usage and communication with others can help us really understand a product.  </description>
      <pubDate>Sun, 26 Jan 2020 10:33:04 -0800</pubDate>
    </item>
    <item>
      <title>Digital Resources</title>
      <link>https://nowcomment.com/documents/164892?scroll_to=1574159</link>
      <guid isPermaLink="true">https://nowcomment.com/documents/164892?scroll_to=1574159</guid>
      <description>Hi Shalika!

Thanks for sharing with us your perspective on whiteboard and digital books.  

My perspective is that the school itself needs to have a plan for usage of whiteboard and have people do training/mentoring.  The usage has to be moved forward and the problem is that not everyone buys into it so they either don't use it or use it minimally because not all are tech inclined.  Do we not try new strategies for student achievement?  I think leadership has to find a way to help the conversation to see why it is still not being used.

As for digital textbooks, I think there needs to be a balance to use digital books and regular books.  Too many times we think we have to do one or the other.  Evolving means taking steps for change not just pushing people into the cold water!  

Lastly I think tech changes need a systematic plan for change.  Each year the school should be discussing what tech may be up and coming and give people heads up for information and training so its an understood thing that things will change.  Again I believe in my experience that when strong relationships and communication are built its much easier or less complicated when things do change.  </description>
      <pubDate>Sun, 26 Jan 2020 10:25:44 -0800</pubDate>
    </item>
    <item>
      <title>Technology Plan</title>
      <link>https://nowcomment.com/documents/164892?scroll_to=1574157</link>
      <guid isPermaLink="true">https://nowcomment.com/documents/164892?scroll_to=1574157</guid>
      <description>Back about ten years ago we use to have do a technology plan that would be approved by the Board so that there would be multiyear plan for what would be implemented.  Unfortunately during those days people were not as interested in wanting to spend time with thinking that technology would be involved much with teaching and more with processes.  In a district we now moved that to the district improvement plan to infuse tools but that is not as well known as well.  More work needs to be done on this to share with all stakeholders.  </description>
      <pubDate>Sun, 26 Jan 2020 10:18:15 -0800</pubDate>
    </item>
    <item>
      <title>Community courses</title>
      <link>https://nowcomment.com/documents/164892?scroll_to=1574156</link>
      <guid isPermaLink="true">https://nowcomment.com/documents/164892?scroll_to=1574156</guid>
      <description>Hi Kendra!
Back in my early days of working in districts I saw more outreach to the community.  Classes were offered and resources for learning extended to parents and community members.  I think due to the lack of resources that has been something that is gone to the wayside.  There are opportunities but not as much as I remember.  People are so busy trying to do various things so how would schools get in front of parents who work in two to three jobs?  I remember doing an after hours workshop in how to login to our student information system.  Two parents showed up!  People are busy so we have to figure new ways to get our messages across (maybe more promo messages through social media and direct rewards).  </description>
      <pubDate>Sun, 26 Jan 2020 10:14:50 -0800</pubDate>
    </item>
    <item>
      <title>Selwyn says</title>
      <link>https://nowcomment.com/documents/164892?scroll_to=1574153</link>
      <guid isPermaLink="true">https://nowcomment.com/documents/164892?scroll_to=1574153</guid>
      <description>I agree Kendra!
No two districts do the same with technology and there are reasons why that is but is that a bad thing?  Our society is all about choices but where do all the choices lead to?  I think that is the question?  or provides us more questions to think about?  </description>
      <pubDate>Sun, 26 Jan 2020 10:08:59 -0800</pubDate>
    </item>
    <item>
      <title>Summary</title>
      <link>https://nowcomment.com/documents/164892?scroll_to=1574152</link>
      <guid isPermaLink="true">https://nowcomment.com/documents/164892?scroll_to=1574152</guid>
      <description>I really like this last paragraph because it does give us a perspective into how complex the issue is with teacher usage, teacher knowledge of implementation, resources of the district, choices and a variety of other variables.  These are all items that keep our conversation going and our perspectives from our roles.  Thanks!</description>
      <pubDate>Sun, 26 Jan 2020 10:07:12 -0800</pubDate>
    </item>
    <item>
      <title>Access/Issues with connecting</title>
      <link>https://nowcomment.com/documents/164892?scroll_to=1574148</link>
      <guid isPermaLink="true">https://nowcomment.com/documents/164892?scroll_to=1574148</guid>
      <description>Yes - in some cases there are not enough devices or even less technical support when there are issues with login.  The process of logins still needs to be simplified and unified for students to not have to spend time doing those things and more time with working with the content.</description>
      <pubDate>Sun, 26 Jan 2020 10:04:34 -0800</pubDate>
    </item>
    <item>
      <title>My Aspirations</title>
      <link>https://nowcomment.com/documents/164892?scroll_to=1570183</link>
      <guid isPermaLink="true">https://nowcomment.com/documents/164892?scroll_to=1570183</guid>
      <description>In my work with technology, this article and researcher aspires me to do what I always have done to help people &quot;decide&quot; what works best in their classroom.  I want to be the tech advocate, researcher, professor and most of all the trusted person in the district that helps put light on the good and the bad of tech in a way that helps good investment of dollars and good support of teachers and students.  </description>
      <pubDate>Sun, 26 Jan 2020 10:43:37 -0800</pubDate>
    </item>
    <item>
      <title>Video/Article Aspire</title>
      <link>https://nowcomment.com/documents/164892?scroll_to=1570182</link>
      <guid isPermaLink="true">https://nowcomment.com/documents/164892?scroll_to=1570182</guid>
      <description>I really liked the portions of the video where in essence he basically wants people to be aware of tech.  Ask questions, demo, challenge the sales people, do not believe its a silver bullet but remember its a tool and that tool gets best used by an educator who has an interest and a plan for a results-driven outcome. </description>
      <pubDate>Wed, 22 Jan 2020 20:22:59 -0800</pubDate>
    </item>
    <item>
      <title>Argue</title>
      <link>https://nowcomment.com/documents/164892?scroll_to=1570180</link>
      <guid isPermaLink="true">https://nowcomment.com/documents/164892?scroll_to=1570180</guid>
      <description>While I would agree about using tech in routines that teachers might be use to (for sure instead of drill) but I would argue in the article about low hanging fruit being whiteboards/textbooks.  For instance I purchased $80 portable doc cams for our special ed staff and they love it for usage with Zoom.  Bring in real world examples, excerpts from books, show math examples etc. and the teachers felt it was impactful.    </description>
      <pubDate>Wed, 22 Jan 2020 20:20:38 -0800</pubDate>
    </item>
    <item>
      <title>Resonated with me</title>
      <link>https://nowcomment.com/documents/164892?scroll_to=1570176</link>
      <guid isPermaLink="true">https://nowcomment.com/documents/164892?scroll_to=1570176</guid>
      <description>I felt the article did a nice job in giving a sense of steps of action for being involved in committing to use and work with technology.  Other than specific hardware he used...I would add that when using tech it can be a procedure or routine that might be powerful in student learning.  For example using skype to bring in experts in the field for the class or now they have class rooms guessing where in the world other classrooms are.  Impact, outcome, and results can be useful in trying to implement a tech.  </description>
      <pubDate>Sun, 26 Jan 2020 10:33:04 -0800</pubDate>
    </item>
    <item>
      <title>Paragraph 8</title>
      <link>https://nowcomment.com/documents/164892?scroll_to=1570174</link>
      <guid isPermaLink="true">https://nowcomment.com/documents/164892?scroll_to=1570174</guid>
      <description>Lots of comments here about power structures.  Who really decides on what is used in schools?  Admin?  Government?  Big tech companies?  </description>
      <pubDate>Thu, 23 Jan 2020 12:58:37 -0800</pubDate>
    </item>
    <item>
      <title>My thoughts</title>
      <link>https://nowcomment.com/documents/164892?scroll_to=1570171</link>
      <guid isPermaLink="true">https://nowcomment.com/documents/164892?scroll_to=1570171</guid>
      <description>I do have some mixed feelings about Selwyn.  When I first saw the title my first impression was &quot;time to get serious?&quot;  Teachers carry so many hats so I feel he did provide some good conversation points and my impression is that he wants educators to do more on voicing their opinions.  I have to admit I disagreed with the whiteboard and textbook idea.  I have been in tech for over 20 years and having all classrooms with whiteboard and digital textbooks in theory sound like low hanging fruit but in reality that is not achievable for some districts.  It also does not account for how there would be unintentionally actions as the result of going for this first.  Support, budget, access and the list goes on.  It is surprising to many administrators that I have worked with over the years that thought the same thing that its easy to get all the money to do all of that.  It is complex but more is being done to get there in some places.  Now we have interactive projectors that are less costly but textbooks are still a challenge.  </description>
      <pubDate>Sun, 26 Jan 2020 10:25:44 -0800</pubDate>
    </item>
    <item>
      <title>First impression</title>
      <link>https://nowcomment.com/documents/164892?scroll_to=1566354</link>
      <guid isPermaLink="true">https://nowcomment.com/documents/164892?scroll_to=1566354</guid>
      <description>Hi Shalika!
I have to admit, I sure was not uplifted by the video.  I think that is what you are discussing.  We are use to hearing the &quot;great&quot; things tech does.  Does it always?  </description>
      <pubDate>Thu, 23 Jan 2020 12:44:57 -0800</pubDate>
    </item>
  </channel>
</rss>
