We're sorry if you've run into a problem (our site is normally quite reliable!), but hopefully one of these tips will solve it right away:
Problem logging onto the site
- See if our site is down through a service like IsItDownRightNow.com. If we're online:
- make sure you aren't trying to access an old or duplicate account (generally each person should have just one account) or using a personal email address instead of a school or business address
- double-check your password and email address for a subtle "typo" — typing a period instead of a comma, leaving out a letter, duplicating a letter, typing the letter "o" instead of the number zero or the letter "l" instead of the number one, etc.
- check capitalization (especially with passwords); could the Caps Lock key be on by mistake?
If your password isn't working (even if you're sure you've entered the right one!) enter just your email address in the homepage login box and then click the "Forgot your Password?" link; we'll email you instructions for resetting the password. If you never receive that reset email then you either used a different email address for your NowComment account or a spam filter is keeping that email from reaching you.
You've entered something (filled out a form, clicked on a URL) and something isn't working
- it's often a subtle (see list above)
- sometimes what you typed isn't in the requested format, e.g. the software is expecting a "12-16-2015" 4-digit year but you input a 2-digit year "12-16-15").
If a page on our site is badly formatted or isn't loading at all
- Try a similar page on our site (e.g. a public document on our site, one of your older documents, another group, another folder) to see if the same problem occurs twice. If the second page is OK, it's good to know there's a problem with a particular page rather than with NowComment in general.
- Try that same page in another free browser (especially if you're using Internet Explorer, old versions can be quirky). Firefox, Chrome, Safari, and Opera are all good browsers that take just a minute or two to download and install.
- If you have easy access to another computer, try doing the same thing on another computer and see if you get the same result.
If these tips didn't solve the problem
We're happy to look into your problem... but we'll need some information for our troubleshooting (screenshots can be a huge help too!):
- A clear and detailed description of the problem (the more clues the better!).
- The URL of the page where the problem is.
- The email address of your account (if different from the address you're emailing us from).
- The exact wording of any Error Message(s) you received, both the "header" message (e.g. "Server Error 500") and any details given below that header. If you can't copy-and-paste this information, a screenshot showing the page URL and the error message would be great (this Wikipedia article explains how to access the screen capture software built into your machine). Save the screenshots and then attach them to your email.
- Let us know what operating system and browser versions you're using (e.g. Windows 8.1 with Firefox 38.0.5, or Mac OS X 10.10.1 with Safari 7.1.6).
- As much context information as possible — what you were trying to do when the problem occurred, what steps you had just finished, what keys you just pressed, etc.
We'll get back to you as quickly as we can!
Last updated:March 8, 2016